Thursday, January 6, 2011

Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes



First of all, Happy Holidays! I know they are over, but since I am behind on my blogs, humor me and lets go back to the week before Christmas! :)

One of the holiday favorites at Starbucks is the Peppermint Mocha (even though this drink is actually available all year long!) and I knew I had to make it into a cupcake! We usually top our PM's off with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles, so when it came time to frost my cupcakes I wanted it to look just like our drink! So for the first time I used a pastry and a tip from the cake decorating set that I received for Christmas! I think they turned out fantastic and they taste even better!



The recipe for the cake calls for peppermint extract, but since I did not want peppermint to overpower your taste buds I decided to substitute the peppermint for vanilla extract. The peppermint extract is used in the frosting, and trust me, a little goes a long way!

There is coffee in this cake as well! It calls for a cup of strong brewed coffee and espresso powder (I finally bought some at Whole Foods!). For the cup of coffee I used our Christmas Blend VIA! This cake is even better than I thought it would be!



So before I say more here are the recipes! Happy Baking!

Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
From Annie's Eats
Yield 24 Cupcakes

Ingredients:
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2-3 tsp. espresso powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup whole milk
1 cup strong brewed coffee
1 tsp. peppermint extract (or you can switch this out for vanilla, which is what I did, to avoid an overpowering mint flavor)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs


Directions:
To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir together. Combine the milk, coffee and peppermint extract in a liquid measuring cup.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugars. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Blend in the eggs one at a time. Alternately mix in the dry and liquid ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing just until incorporated.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
From Cake MIx Doctor
Yield 8 Servings

Ingredients:
8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), at room temperature
3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract (see the note under recipe!)

Directions:
Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, 30 seconds. Stop the machine and add the confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract.
Blend with the mixer on low speed until the sugar is well incorporated, 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the frosting lightens and is fluffy, 1 minute more.

A note about the frosting:
I made to batches of this frosting, but between the two I only used ONE 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract. The flavor is super strong and I think that I used the perfect amount! If you decide to only make one batch (which is nowhere near enough for 24 cupcakes!) then I suggest 1/4 teaspoon only!

These cupcakes went over so well at work and I am glad because it was their Christmas gift! I want to make them again because the cake was so good, I'd like to try it with different frostings! :)

Have fun with it!


Until next time,
Perna Cakes

No comments:

Post a Comment