Wednesday, January 5, 2011

German Chocolate Cupcakes



One of my favorite things to do is make cupcakes for people on their birthdays and this is where the plan for German Chocolate Cupcakes came from! My co-worker and amazing friend R.J. was celebrating his 24th Birthday so I asked questions about his favorite cake and/or candy bar. He said German Chocolate. It was new, it was different and I was excited to try it!

R.J. originally was going to give me a challenge, which was to make cupcakes that taste like cereal! I never would have had time for this, especially since it was the end of the semester, but I have to say that if there is a way to make delicious cupcakes that taste like cereal, I hope I am the one to discover it. I will have to save it for another time! Maybe for your 25th Arj! :)

It took a little searching for a recipe because German Chocolate is usually made in cake form. When I finally found a recipe that I thought sounded right, it was no surprise to me at all that it came from one of my Food Network faves Ina Garten. The chocolate cake incorporates coffee to deepen the flavor. I mean that cupcake is just plain yummy! I did not use Ina's frosting (which is actually the classic filling for German Chocolate) because I felt that it was too involved. I understand that I need to cook it on the stove, but the less steps the better! And the filling turned out awesome!

I realize that appearance wise these are not the prettiest cupcakes on the block, but I promise they are delicious! Even for semi-coconut haters, like me!

Also, this was the first time I got to use my new kitchen mixer! Here it is in the background! (It's not a kitchen aid, but it will do until I can get one)!




Here is the recipe and Happy Baking!

German Chocolate Cupcakes
From Ina Garten
Makes 14 cupcakes

Ingredients:

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
2 extra-large eggs at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream at room temperature
2 tablespoons freshly brewed coffee
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with 14 paper liners.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and both sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Lower the speed to medium, add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. On low speed, add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternately in thirds, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture. Mix only until blended. Fold the batter with a rubber spatula to be sure it's completely blended.

3. Divide the batter between the cupcake pans. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, remove from the pans, and allow to cool completely before frosting.

German Chocolate Frosting/Filling
From Teenie Cakes
Makes about 3 cups

Ingredients:
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
Pinch of salt

Directions:
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine evaporated milk, brown sugar, and butter and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the coconut, pecans, and salt until combined. Let cool to room temperature before using.



I love how easy the filling was to make, and much to my surprise when I frosted my cupcakes the filling did not slide off like I expected! It was the perfect consistency! I know that I did not do this, but if you want to get a little creative with it, you can cut off the top of the cupcake add a thin layer of filling and then replace the top and add more filling on top! This way it is like a mini German Chocolate Cake! Thats how Martha Stewart does it! :)

Enjoy!!

1 comment: