Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins



Old, mushy, brown bananas? Don't get mad, get glad! Make something with them! Banana bread is delicious, but I wanted something different so I went back to Annie's blog: Annie's Eats and found this inticing recipe---Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins!

I got my old bananas from work! They were headed for the trash, so I saved them and went on a search for something yummy! I could've made cupcakes, but since I am making another batch of cookies n cream cupcakes later in the week I decided to do muffins! Don't worry Starbucks Seacliff you will reap the rewards of these treats...Thanks for providing the main ingredient!!

Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins:
(From Annie's Eats)

Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2-1 tsp. espresso powder (depending on your taste)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the mashed bananas, sugar, brown sugar, butter, milk, egg and mascarpone. Mix on medium speed until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed just until incorporated. Gently fold in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.


Some notes:
It calls for espresso powder but I used Starbucks VIA Italian Roast thinking there would not be a huge difference in flavor, but I can't taste the coffee flavor at all. Annie said she had this problem with hers as well and she used espresso powder, but if you want to taste it then I suggest: more of whatever coffee powder you use!

I used mini chocolate chips which gives you more chocolate, but I guess according to the recipe you can use regular sized chocolate chips, so you decide!

Finally, mascarpone cheese! A sweet Italian soft cheese that I have heard can be used in baking instead of butter?! I might try it! If you can't find mascarpone cheese at your grocery store you can use cream cheese!

Enjoy these, I hope yours have a little more coffee flavor, but either way you can't go wrong with banana and chocolate!!

Until next time,
Perna Cakes

2 comments:

  1. Once I saw the Marscapone cheese I was in!!! I'm going to make these the next time I have old bananas!

    ReplyDelete